Canoe Procurement Group Purchasing Program
Combining the purchasing power of over 5,000 public and not-for-profit organizations throughout the country, Canoe is one of the largest cooperative procurement groups of its kind in Canada. This program gives our members the opportunity to access hundreds of pre-tendered trade programs that leverage the buying power of over 5,000 active members, which in turns saves both time and costs.
Value to NSFM Members:
- Access a wider range of trade-compliant products and services at preferred rates.
- Additional procurement tool for NSFM’s members – non-binding and no obligation to purchase.
- Procurement compliance to trade agreement legislation.
- Access to premium brands through Sourcewell partnership.
- Members select which vendor they want to buy from. The member will purchase/place any orders through the vendor and pay the vendor directly. The vendor delivers the product and is responsible for applicable warranties.
- Full purchasing support from start to finish.
To learn more about this group effort and how to take advantage of it, please visit: canoeprocurement.ca
How to Participate:
Additional questions? Read the cooperative purchasing guide! (7.88 MB)
As new vendor Webinars become available, view them on our YouTube channel!
For More Information Contact:
NSFM’s mentoring program supports the need to pass valuable knowledge and experience from veteran councillors to those recently elected. This one-to-one relationship involves occasional face-to-face meetings, telephone conversations, texts and emails.
The purpose of the program is to provide additional opportunities for networking and personal and professional development among municipal elected officials. The program aims to advance the personal and professional development of both the mentor and mentee. Administration for the program is handled by the NSFM Office. View our pdf Mentoring Guide (2.37 MB) , along with the pdf Mentor Questionnaire (47 KB) and pdf Mentee Questionnaire (47 KB) .
Group Benefits Program
NSFM has a group benefits plan with approximately 2,000 members. Members can take advantage of plan options tailored to the needs and preferences of their workplaces. The Health & Benefits Committee, with staff representatives from NSFM and AMANS, regularly meets with the plan consultants to administer the plan and ensure the plan meets expectations of plan participants and offers a high value for members. Premiums for the program exceed $9 million and several insurance carriers are engaged to provide a range of benefits, including:
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Claims Payment
- Emergency Travel
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health & Dental
- Virtual Health Care
Municipal Group Insurance Program
NSFM offers a comprehensive and flexible commercial, D&O, and liability insurance program to ensure that municipal units are able to effectively meet the needs of their citizens. Benefits of the program are:
- Continued evaluation around the quality of the broker services (annual survey) and acting on the results received from participants
- Education and awareness around risk management issues (including inspections which contain hazard recommendations as well as building valuations and contract reviews)
- Guiding participants to control claims by mitigating risks in advance
- Local claims management
- Insurance products specifically aimed at municipal units and the expertise of the service team
- Leveraging the strength of the relationships within the program (insurer, brokers, program sponsor)
- Stability within an unstable landscape
- Strength in numbers
The Municipal Insurance Oversight Committee, with staff representatives from NSFM and AMANS, was established this year to provide oversight to the program. In 2022, 50 municipal units within Nova Scotia participated in the program. Annual premiums for the program are approximately $6 million and Intact Public Entities underwrites the commercial and D&O insurance policies. CFC Underwriting Limited sponsors the cyber policy. The brokers providing the interface between the insurers and the participating organizations are Arthur J. Gallagher Canada and BrokerLink Inc.
The Building a Healthy You! Wellness Program, was established through AMANS/NSFM to help define effective ways to create healthy municipalities in Nova Scotia. The Wellness Program motivates change and transforms Municipal environments for improved health and wellness. Visit the Municipal Wellness Program’s website for more information.
Preferred Hotel Rate
NSFM members have access to a special rate of $146 / night* at the NSFM Host Hotel – The Westin Nova Scotian in Halifax.
Click on this link to access directly, Book the corporate rate for NSFM, or book using this rate by selecting Special Rates and entering A5123 under “Corporate/Promo/SET#” while searching on Marriott.com.
* single/double occupancy through December 30, 2020. Based on availability. Plus applicable taxes
Preferred Courier Rate
The NSFM offers a preferred courier rate to municipalities through Canada Post's Maritime Provinces Parcels Agreement. For municipalities to take advantage of this program, contact the Commercial Service Network at 1 866-757-5480.
Carbon Surcharge Policy & Fund
As a means to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and make NSFM’s practices more sustainable, the Board of Directors passed a motion on June 8, 2012 to support a $5 carbon surcharge on spring and fall conference registration fees. All money collected is held in a special fund and is disbursed annually to municipalities to support local, small-scale sustainability projects, based on recommendations from NSFM’s Board of Directors. More information about past recipients and applications can be found here.